Hola used to be a popular VPN service for people from all over the world. Unfortunately, its security is very bad meaning that it continually puts its users at risk. Internet security activists even created the movement Adios, Hola to warn the existing and potential subscribers about its vulnerabilities. If you are aware of all the hidden risks the service carries, you’re probably looking for a different provider. If so, in this post we will show you the best Hola VPN alternatives to make your Internet connection as safe as never before.
Why Should You Look an Alternative to Hola VPN
Hola has been repeatedly recognized as one of the most dangerous VPN, and this is why:
- It is a peer-to-peer VPN, i.e. its network is comprised of users’ devices. Not only does it make Hola incredibly slow, but also vulnerable to hackers. For instance, in 2018, as the result of a 5-hour hacker attack, Hola’s subscribers who used it to access their MEW accounts (it is a cryptocurrency service) could lose all their hard-earned coins.
- When you add your device to Hola’s network, you share your IP address with other users. If somebody uses that IP for illegal activities, you are the person to face consequences. For instance, if a Hola user uploaded copyrighted movies and your IP was involved, the police will consider that it was you who shared these materials.
- Hola sells your bandwidth to other parties. No, you don’t get any money for this but you may get a bunch of troubles. Hola’s owner runs a business that lends its network to anyone who has money and he doesn’t care how it is going to be used, even if it makes up a botnet or takes part in DDoS attacks.
- Hola doesn’t offer any encryption. Therefore, everybody, including cybercriminals and authorities, can find out what you searched or downloaded online.
These facts clearly show that you should immediately remove Hola from your computer and look for a better service.
The Best Hola VPN Alternatives You Should Use in 2019
A VPN is, first of all, a security tool. It means that your provider should carry out the following:
- Zero-logging policy. A trustworthy service doesn’t monitor or record users’ connections, let alone websites or web services they made use of.
- Favorable jurisdiction. If a country where a VPN service is registered doesn’t have compulsory data retention laws then your identity as a VPN client will remain secret. Moreover, if this country doesn’t cooperate with foreign authorities, the latter won’t be able to demand to disclose confidential information about VPN users.
- Strong security. With a solid VPN, every bit of your traffic will be protected via unbreakable encryption and top of the line connection protocols.
Along with security features, a multi-tasking VPN should be fast, torrent-friendly, able to bypass geo-restrictions, as well as convenient for its users no matter what platform they will be using.
Putting all these aspects together, we present our top-3 best Hola VPN alternatives:
Let’s take a closer look at the services we recommend.
With the largest VPN server network in the world, NordVPN provides plenty of connection options to choose from. More than 5,500 servers in 62 countries are at your disposal. Whether you want to use them for torrenting, video streaming, or gaming, the service has no restrictions. Thanks to blazing fast connection speed and unblocking capabilities, NordVPN keeps user experience sky-high.
The service is registered in Panama which has lenient privacy laws. Such a favorable jurisdiction helped NordVPN create its zero-logging policy, which set a benchmark in the VPN industry. You can rest assured that the provider doesn’t know what you do online. Spies and hackers won’t be able to find out about your activities either because your traffic will be safeguarded with the best in class AES-256 bit encryption and OpenVPN protocol. There is even an Double VPN option to encrypt your traffic twice.
Not only is NordVPN safe and secure but also competitively priced. While the one-month subscription has an average cost, annual plans attract with massive discounts from 41% to 75%. The 30-day money-back guarantee is in place if for any reason you’d like to cancel the service.
If you are looking for a fast alternative to Hola VPN, ExpressVPN is a number one option. VPN experts recognize it as the fastest provider in the industry. Totally, there are more than 3,000 servers on its network, which span across 94 countries. Thanks to such an extensive coverage, you are able to unblock Netflix, Hulu, HBO, BBC iPlayer, and other streaming services without much hassle. ExpressVPN is also great for torrenting and online gaming.
The company is registered in the offshore country (the British Virgin Islands) that has favorable security laws. The local legislation doesn’t require ExpressVPN to log user activities. It only implements some harmless logging to improve speeds and for troubleshooting but your anonymity stays intact. As for encryption, the most advanced 256-bit AES is used by default.
ExpressVPN is very easy to use and its software is available for plenty of devices. 24/7 user support is always ready to answer all your questions or provide assistance. Although ExpressVPN is not the cheapest service, its 35% for an annual subscription makes it quite a bargain.
IPVanish is based in the USA, country known for harsh security laws and surveillance programs. Luckily, the company has found a way to preserve the client’s privacy. It keeps no connection or traffic logs providing its users a chance to browse the web absolutely anonymously. Very secure 256-bit AES encryption and OpenVPN will keep cybercriminals and spies away from sensitive data.
You may use IPVanish for many web activities. Unlimited torrenting is allowed on its servers. It is able to bypass geo-restrictions on various online services (however, it is currently not capable of unblocking Netflix). Thanks to very fast connection speed, gamers will also benefit from IPVanish. You can make use any of its 1200 servers in 48 countries without any bandwidth caps. SOCKS5 proxy is also in place if you’d like to have a fast connection without encryption.
IPVanish is a user-friendly service available on various devices. It allows multi-logging on up to 10 devices from a single account. If you are hunting down a cheap service, a one-year subscription with 46% is just what you need.
Are Free VPNs an Alternative to Hola?
Most free VPNs have the same drawbacks as Hola. They are too slow for activities such as video streaming or gaming. Unlike Hola that doesn’t have any data caps, free VPNs have bandwidth limits, normally ranging from 500 Mb to 10 Gb data per month. You won’t be able to unblock Netflix and video on demand services in your region with free VPN. They have just a handful of servers in their networks, all blacklisted by entertaining corporations. Connection speed is sluggish for the same reason – a few servers available but too many users occupy them. Security features are a little better than those of Hola but still not up to par in comparison with industry’s leaders. There is some encryption via free providers but it is not strong enough to be considered unbreakable. On top of that, they collect user data and then sell it to the third parties.
Hola is a service not to touch with a ten-foot pole. It is too slow, doesn’t have any encryption, and is not able to unblock Netflix or other geo-restricted services. Security is its biggest drawback though. It is simply harmful for its users. If you don’t want to jeopardize your privacy, you should get a different service. With one of the best alternatives to Hola we recommend in this post, you’ll enjoy all common web activities and uncompromising user security.
Do you have any questions? Feel free to ask us in the comment section. We’ll try to provide comprehensive answers on this topic.