ExpressVPN is an offshore VPN provider located in the British Virgin Islands. The company promotes itself as, “The Fastest VPN on Earth.” Whether or not this is true, it is certainly among the fastest out there, offering incredible download speeds, superior stability, and no data or bandwidth caps. All of this comes with top-notch security and customer service agents ready to chat with you live 24/7.
Quick Facts About ExpressVPN:
- Servers in 136 cities in 87 countries
- OpenVPN (TCP or UDP), L2TP or PPTP
- Unlimited bandwidth and server switches
- 24/7 customer support
- No monthly data caps
ExpressVPN Pricing Structure
Three pricing tiers are available on ExpressVPN:
- 1 month: $12.95 per month
- 6 months: $9.99 per month
- 12 months: $8.32 per month
All of these tiers of service provide you with the full range of features and benefits available through ExpressVPN. If you choose to purchase the annual package, you will save 35% over the month-to-month cost. All of these packages are protected by a 30-day money back guarantee. You can make your payment using credit card, PayPal, e-wallet, or Bitcoin.
ExpressVPN is significantly more expensive than many other VPN services, but the company offers a huge variety of server locations along with outstanding speed, stability and reliability.
ExpressVPN Security and Privacy
To keep your data safe, ExpressVPN uses AES-256. AES stands for “Advanced Encryption Standard,” and is the same protocol which the US government uses to protect its classified data.
A variety of different protocols are available to you to use, including OpenVPN (TCP or UDP), L2TP or PPTP. You can select any of these protocols manually, or you can set ExpressVPN on “Automatic.” If you choose this setting, the VPN will automatically choose the protocol which makes the most sense for the network you are using.
What about logging? ExpressVPN is quite serious about protecting your privacy in this respect, and actually has an entire page dedicated to explaining their logging policies. According to that page, ExpressVPN never logs your traffic data, browsing history, or DNS queries. There are however session logs which list the dates when connected, the total amount of data transferred on those dates, and the VPN server location used. No personally identifying information is included in these logs.
It is also worth noting that ExpressVPN’s location in the British Virgin Islands allows them to provide you with better privacy protection than they could if they were located in the USA or a European country.
ExpressVPN Servers and Their Locations
If you are looking for server diversity, you will find it here. ExpressVPN has a total of 136 servers located in 136 different cities. These cities are distributed across 87 countries in the Americas, Asia Pacific, Europe, Africa, Middle East, and India. So no matter what country’s content you are trying to unblock, ExpressVPN has you covered.
All IP addresses are shared on ExpressVPN; there is no way to purchase a dedicated IP address. While there is no data available on the exact number of IP addresses, you can choose from multiple IP addresses for every server.
Supported Operating Systems and Devices
You can use ExpressVPN on Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Android, iOS, or Linux, so you can use it on just about any desktop, laptop, or mobile device. You can also run ExpressVPN on your router or on your media console (PlayStation 3 or 4, Xbox One, or Apple TV). You can use ExpressVPN simultaneously on up to three devices (including virtual machines).
ExpressVPN Speed, Bandwidth, and Stability
The bandwidth on ExpressVPN is unlimited, which is fantastic news if you are going to be using the VPN for a demanding application like streaming, gaming, or P2P sharing.
ExpressVPN claims to be “The Fastest VPN on Earth.” Is it? Speed tests indicate that typical download speeds range anywhere from 15-40 Mbps, which is positively blazing. Upload speeds range between two and four Mbps. These upload speeds are more typical, but still very good.
The exact speed depends on your location as well as the location of the server you are using to access the web.
In terms of stability, customers who use ExpressVPN report that disconnects are rare—still more good news for those who want to stream, game, or share files.
If you are not satisfied with ExpressVPN, you can qualify for a 100% money back guarantee within the first 30 days of service. Note that ExpressVPN refers to this as a “free trial.” It is not technically a free trial since you do need to make an initial payment, but it is reasonable to assume that no questions will be asked if you do request a refund.
Customer Service on ExpressVPN
Another superb feature of ExpressVPN is the fast, accessible help desk.
Many VPNs these days only offer customer service through a ticketing system. There is usually no way to reach a live agent, whether by phone or by chat. This obviously can be incredibly frustrating if you have a time-sensitive request.
That is not the case with ExpressVPN. If you want to talk live with a human being, you can visit the Support page and click on “Live Chat.” This will open a window where you will be greeted by a real person.
When I tested out Live Chat, I was impressed by how quickly an agent was available to speak with me. I would estimate that my wait time was under a minute.
The agent I spoke to, “James,” was able to quickly and thoroughly answer the questions that I asked, and was polite, knowledgeable, and friendly.
If you do not want to use the live chat feature, you can fill out a contact form or you can email the company directly. ExpressVPN lists their typical response time for emails to be several hours. You can also search for answers in the troubleshooting guides. Setup tutorials are provided for a variety of operating systems so that you can get up and running quickly after you purchase services.
- ExpressVPN really does have some of the fastest speeds on the web. A lot of other VPN services max out at around 15 Mbps for downloading. ExpressVPN speeds typically start above 15 Mbps, ranging up toward 40 Mbps.
- Unlimited bandwidth and top-notch stability add value for resource-intensive applications. Along with the excellent speeds mentioned above, the unlimited bandwidth and reliability of ExpressVPN make it ideal for gaming, streaming, and P2P.
- Customer service is actually available via live chat. So many VPN providers these days cannot be bothered to staff a help desk and provide you with live assistance. But nothing is worse than needing resolution on an issue and having to wait hours for a response. If you need to send email after email, hours can stretch into days. But with live chat, you can get your problem resolved right away.
- Encryption is strong. Usually when you have high speeds on VPNs, it is as the cost of security, but that is not the case with ExpressVPN. This VPN manages to provide you with security and speed all in one reasonably priced package.
- Servers are available all around the world. Some VPNs only provide you with a few different countries, but on ExpressVPN, you have 87 to choose from.
- ExpressVPN is more expensive than many competing VPNs. The only significant drawback with ExpressVPN is the cost. $8.32 a month is the least expensive rate—but a lot of other VPNs provide services for under $4 per month. You will be paying more than double that here.
ExpressVPN Review: Conclusion
ExpressVPN is Your Express Ticket to Blazing Speeds and Responsive Customer Service. It may not be the best choice if you are on a tight budget; but if you can afford to spend a little more on a VPN, you will find that this service provides you with some serious bang for your buck. For anyone looking for turbocharged speeds, a reliable encrypted connection, and unlimited bandwidth, it is hard to do better than ExpressVPN.
Additionally, being able to get in touch with a live person anytime you have a question or need assistance is becoming a rarity these days. ExpressVPN may be charging more than their competitors, but they are offering more for your money in terms of technological sophistication and superlative customer service.