Player Unknown Battlegrounds, PUBG in short, is a multiplayer battle royale game beloved by millions of gamers around the world. No doubt, it became the major sensation in the gaming world of the last decade. Sadly, the governments of some countries found PUBG dangerous and therefore, they block access for the fellow citizens. If you are unlucky to live in one of these countries or you have to travel there often, you can’t do without a VPN. In this article, we will talk about the best VPNs for PUBG and how they can dramatically improve your gaming experience and security.
Reasons to Get a VPN for PUBG
In fact, there are many reasons to activate a VPN every time you go online. Here are 5 main benefits you can get with a VPN for PUBG:
- As we have already mentioned, PUBG is inaccessible in certain countries, in Nepal, Iraq, China, and partly in India, to be exact. This means that more than 2.5 billion potential users won’t be able to play this award-winning game. Although these restrictions are very severe, they can be circumvented with a VPN. This software is created to hide users virtual locations meaning that a gamer from, let’s say India, can pretend that he is from another country and thus bypass PUBG ban.
- Gamers from non-banned countries can benefit from VPNs, too. More often than not, when you start to play, PUBG connects you to a nearby server based on your location. As a result, you will have to fight with more or less the same opponents most of the time. If you are ready for new challenges, a VPN will help connect you to a game server in another country.
- On top of the said above, changing your geolocation can help unlock rare skins and costumes. According to Reddit users, your chance to find a crate full of useful stuff will increase if you select servers in Taiwan, India, Russia, and Malaysia.
- To successfully complete your missions and remain the last man standing, you definitely need fast internet. Even if your ISP provides a fast connection in general, you are not immune to bandwidth throttling. Besides, if PUBG connects you to a remote game server, ping time will inevitably increase leading to lags and slowdowns. A VPN not only eliminates ISP throttling but also reduces the distance between the game server and the server handling your requests. The result is better latency and faster speeds.
- Like any other online activity, gaming involves some cybersecurity risks. They include DDoS attacks and hacking your account. VPN is a tool that helps keep cybercriminals and hackers away. By hiding your real IP address, a VPN maintains user privacy while traffic encryption safeguards sensitive data.
Is it Legal to use a VPN for PUBG?
PUBG developers are pretty liberal when it comes to VPN usage. There are no geo-restrictions coming from the game company itself so probably this is why it makes no sense for them to clamp down on VPNs.
Having said that, you should know that sometimes a VPN can still put you in trouble. Steam has an exclusive right to distribute PUBG for PC and their anti-VPN policy is pretty tough. If you are caught using a VPN, your account will likely to be banned. By the way, here you can find the best VPNs for Steam if you play PUBG through this service.
Things to Consider before Getting a VPN for PUBG
Since there are many VPNs incompatible with online gaming, you need to pay close attention to VPN functionality. In particular, you need to make sure the following key features are in place:
- Large server network. The more servers in various countries a VPN has, the better connection speeds you’ll get. Plus, you’ll be able to battle against gamers from any corner of the world.
- Optimized servers. High-bandwidth networks ensure great speeds no matter where you are and which servers you connect to. On top of that, they are able to absorb superfluous traffic thus protecting you from DDoS attacks.
- Convenient apps for your devices. Regardless of what device you are going to use, there must be a dedicated app that is easy to install, configure, and use.
- Multi-device compatibility. If you decide to gather the whole team on your couch to play PUBG on your phones or you want to share a protected connection with your family, you need a VPN supporting multi-logging from the same account.
- Reliable encryption. Not only should a VPN supply uncrackable encryption but also latest connection protocols that don’t affect connection speeds.
The Best VPNs for PUBG
When all these features are collected in the same handy app, nothing can stop you from becoming a PUBG champ. But how to make sure a VPN has all these functions if there are hundreds of providers around? Surely, you can’t test all the services out but we can. Below is our list of the best VPNs for PUBG:
With 5700+ servers in 60 countries, NordVPN is the biggest VPN network in the world. By joining NordVPN family, you’ll benefit from a fast connection, military-grade encryption, and the capability of bypassing the most rigorous geo-restrictions. Thanks to special obfuscated servers, you can get past firewalls with ease.
NordVPN is available for basically every Internet-compatible device. 6 multi-loggings at once and the possibility to configure its software on routers made NordVPN an excellent choice for gaming teams. Easy-to-use apps with robust functionality (read more on that in this detailed NordVPN review) will please beginners and seasoned VPN users alike while a responsive 24/7 support team will come to rescue whenever you need assistance or answers to your questions.
The service offers unprecedented discounts for long-term subscriptions, 30-day money-back guarantee, as well as various payment methods. Thanks to its server speed, affordable prices, security features and ease of use, NordVPN is our number one choice for PUBG.
If you are looking for lightning-fast speeds and incredible ease of use, you won’t go wrong with ExpressVPN. The service boasts 3000+ DDoS protected servers in a whopping 94 countries, all ideally suitable for gaming. Among other features you’ll benefit from are traffic encryption, split-tunneling, kill switch, smartlocation, embedded speed test, and many others.
The service provides apps for literally any possible device. Moreover, their design and simplicity have gained the title of the best VPN clients in the industry. These apps work like a well-oiled machine but if something is not ok, you can reach out to the helpful customer support day and night. To find out more about the service make sure to take a look at our in-depth ExpressVPN review.
ExpressVPN is not the cheapest provider around but with a 35% off for an annual plan, you can get yourself a pretty good deal. Regardless of a tariff, there is a 30-day no-questions-asked money-back guarantee in place. ExpressVPN is an excellent choice for PUBG, so why don’t you give it a try?
VyprVPN is among a few providers that manage their entire network on their own. Since there are no third parties involved, all your data is well protected. It also means that VyprVPN has a chance to optimize every single server to achieve the fastest connection speeds. Totally, the service owns more than 700 servers in 70 countries and its network is steadily growing. The best features PUBG users will benefit from are DDoS protection, best encryption and protocols including the proprietary Chameleon (designed to bypass restrictive firewalls), and 24/7 online tech support. You can install VyprVPN clients on a wide range of devices including routers to protect your entire home WiFi network. VyprVPN supports from 3 to 5 simultaneous connections. There are more interesting features – learn about them from this VyprVPN review.
VyprVPN offers two types of subscriptions based on a number of devices you’d like to connect. No matter which option you go with, we recommend long commitments cutting the monthly fee in half. VyprVPN is one of the oldest VPN providers on the market and a service you can trust, especially when being covered by the 30-day refund policy.
Can I Use a Free VPN for PUBG?
The short answer is ‘no’. If you need more details, here they are. First of all, free VPNs are unbearably slow. They might be good enough for general web browsing but gaming that requires ultra-fast Internet connection becomes mission impossible. Secondly, free VPNs just don’t have many servers in their networks meaning you can forget about getting past geo-restrictions or connecting to gaming servers in other corners of the world. Lastly, some free VPNs pose a huge threat to your security – instead of helping you fight DDoS attacks, they might be involved in botnets used for DDoS.
All in all, free VPNs are a bad choice for security-conscious users. Even if your provider has nothing to do with botnets and DDoS attacks, it is more than likely that it collects data about your web activities and sells it to someone else. What’s even worse, sometimes, malicious codes are hidden within the software itself. Don’t expose yourself to major security risks just to save a few dollars per month.
A good VPN can enhance your online privacy while helping you to bypass geo-restrictions. Make sure to check out our list of the best VPNs for PUBG that deliver all the necessary features at a reasonable price. At the same time, we warn you to stay away from free VPNs that are neither fast nor secure.
We hope we could answer all your questions in this brief post. If you have something to add or ask, feel free to drop us a line in the comments. We would be glad to know your opinion on the services we recommend and whether they could help improve your PUBG experience.