You may never have thought about using a virtual private network (VPN) on your Xbox One or 360. Xbox doesn’t feature native support for VPNs, so many gamers are completely unaware that there is a way to use a VPN on their favorite console.
Actually, you can get set up quite quickly with an Xbox VPN. Once you are tunnelling your data, you can enjoy gaming and streaming on a private, safe connection.
Below, you can check out best VPNs for Xbox One and Xbox 360. Keep reading past the recommendations to learn more about how a VPN can enhance your Xbox experience, and what you need to know to get set up.
Here Are the Top Recommended VPNs for Xbox One and Xbox 360
Imagine being able to access the web through servers scattered in 94 countries around the globe. If you choose ExpressVPN for Xbox One, you can do that while enjoying unlimited speed and server switches. Did we mention unrivalled privacy? ExpressVPN doesn’t even keep connection logs. See our ExpressVPN complete review here, or try out the best VPN for Xbox One now, you won’t be disappointed.
Another VPN which is highly recommended for Xbox is NordVPN. Hailed for its fast speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and massive server selection (more than 2,600 in all), NordVPN for Xbox One is a reliable option for gaming, streaming, and other resource-demanding activities online.
3. Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access, also known simply as “PIA,” is another of the leading Xbox One VPNs. This service is known for its unlimited bandwidth and its absolutely massive selection of servers—over 3,034 in all in 28 different countries. You can use this VPN for as many as 5 devices at one time, and your connection is protected from malware. With Private Internet Access, Xbox One becomes a whole new experience. Read more in our detailed PIA review, or try it today without risk thanks to a 7 day money-back guarantee.
Why Do You Need an Xbox One VPN?
With a VPN for your Xbox One, you can enjoy the following benefits:
- A safe, private connection which is protected from malware, viruses, and prying eyes.
- Access to the web via proxy servers all around the world. That means you can access geo-blocked content.
- Potentially speed up your connection. This is handy if you want to join an overseas gaming server for example and you get too much lag letting your ISP route your data.
The possibilities here are pretty much unlimited. Of course, you should only use your Xbox VPN in a legal manner.
What Features Do You Need in an Xbox VPN?
- High speed and bandwidth. You need to be able to transfer a lot of data fast if you want to game or stream online. That means that your Xbox VPN needs to have the speed and bandwidth to handle that task. It can make the difference between winning or losing a match, and can have a major impact on the quality of your gaming experience.
- Servers around the world. You may need to access the web via a server in a very specific country for reasons related to either gaming or streaming. That means you need to pick a VPN which offers you geographical diversity.
- Protection from malware, viruses, and hackers. Staying secure online is harder than ever these days. A VPN provides you with an extra layer of safeguarding against malicious parties.
- Multiple devices. What if you want to game on your Xbox while your housemate wants to send an email on his laptop? A VPN that allows for simultaneous devices makes it possible for multiple people on the same connection to tunnel their traffic through the VPN.
Here’s How to Setup and Use a VPN on Xbox One or 360
As you know, you cannot set up your VPN directly through Xbox. You need to go through your computer instead. There are two ways you can do this.
Method 1: Sharing VPN Connection over Ethernet on Windows
- Get your VPN running on your computer.
- Use an Ethernet cable to connect your Xbox and computer.
- Enter the “Network and Sharing Center” on your computer.
- Choose “Change Adapter Settings.”
- Check the box which says, “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.”
- In the “Home Networking Connection” menu, you can select the “Xbox” connection if you see it. Otherwise, choose the relevant connection you want to use on your Xbox.
- Save the new settings by clicking on “OK.”
- On your Xbox, enter the menu and go to Settings -> System Settings -> Network Settings.
- Select “Wired Network,” and then “Test Connection.”
At that point, you’re done!
Method 2: Sharing your VPN connection via Router
- Get your VPN downloaded and installed.
- Enter your router’s administrative control panel and set it up to connect via your VPN.
- On your Xbox, head to Settings -> System Settings -> Network Settings.
- Choose your wireless network.
- Input your WPA key.
- Run the “Test Connection.”
That is all there is to this simple method.
Can You Use a Free VPN for Xbox One or Xbox 360?
Why pay for what you can get for free, right? Well, here’s the thing … you can’t get what you need for free in this case. There are plenty of free VPN services for Xbox out there, but they tend to be very slow. On many of them, even loading a webpage takes ages. So naturally they are not a fit for gaming or streaming.
You will need to pay for your Xbox VPN. Thankfully the options we recommended are all very affordable.
Conclusion: You Can Improve Gaming and Streaming Performance on Xbox With a High Quality VPN
If you are not using a VPN on Xbox One or Xbox 360, you are missing out on a great thing. With a VPN, you can enjoy lower ping times, making for smooth, lag-free gaming sessions. You can access content from anywhere around the globe, and you can protect your system from malware and viruses while maintaining the utmost privacy. Ready to begin? Scroll back up to our recommended options to find the best Xbox VPN for your needs!