Looking for a VPN service which will help you unblock websites and media while encrypting your connection? OverPlay VPN offers a combination of SmartDNS and VPN services. In this OverPlay VPN review, I will introduce you to pricing, features, pros and cons. You can then decide whether you want to sign up for services.
What is OverPlay VPN?
OverPlay has been in existence since 2008. The UK company which operates OverPlay VPN previously provided SmartDNS service. So it was a natural move to start offering VPN service as well.
What Are the Best Uses for OverPlay?
OverPlay is a great choice if you are trying to do any of the following:
- Unblock content at school or work. With OverPlay SmartDNS or VPN, you can access websites, media and services which may regularly be inaccessible on your network.
- Get around censorship and geo-restrictions on content. Access the web as if you are in a different country, and enjoy full access to the services which are usually denied to you because of your location.
- Increase privacy and security. With OverPlay VPN, your connection is encrypted so that hackers cannot intercept your data.
There are two tiers of services you can purchase from OverPlay:
- SmartDNS – 1 month: $4.95
- SmartDNS – 12 months: $49.95 (save 15%)
- SmartDNS + VPN – 1 month: $9.95
- SmartDNS + VPN – 12 months: $99.95 (save 16%)
What is the difference between the two?
- SmartDNS: With SmartDNS, you can get around censorship, using the web without restrictions. Features include no traffic logs, unlimited server and region switching, mobile compatibility, unlimited bandwidth, and a 5-day money-back guarantee.
- SmartDNS + VPN: This adds encryption to the service. OverPlay also promotes high-speed connection for this service, and states that it can get you around throttling from your ISP. Other added features include unlimited P2P traffic, PPTP, L2TP and OpenVPN protocols, and support for three simultaneous connections.
Not familiar with SmartDNS and still not sure how these services differ? It is important to know that they work in different ways.
With SmartDNS, OverPlay adjusts your DNS server in order to help you access geo-blocked content. With the VPN, you get to choose a server in a country of your choice, fully disguising your IP address. With the SmartDNS alone, the IP address is not disguised.
If all you need to do is unblock geo-restricted content, SmartDNS from OverPlay can save you money. But if you want privacy, anonymity, and encryption, you need the SmartDNS + VPN package. This is also what you need for P2P functionality.
Getting Started with OverPlay VPN
Here is how you can get up and running with OverPlay:
- Head to the OverPlay homepage.
- Decide whether you want SmartDNS or SmartDNS + VPN (I recommend the latter).
- Click on the orange button which says “Sign Up Now” for the service you have chosen.
- Select 1 month of service or 12.
- Enter in your email address below.
- Scroll down and choose your payment method. You can pick either credit card or PayPal.
- Submit your payment.
- Go to the Setup page.
- Choose your device, download the program, and install it.
You are then able to enjoy unrestricted access to the internet. Setting it up once it is installed is a breeze (see the section on ease-of-use further down).
Supported Devices and Operating Systems
You can use OverPlay on any of the following systems: Windows, OS X, Linux, Android, iOS, Tomato, DD-WRT.
So you can install OverPlay on your PC, laptop, tablet or mobile device. If you want, you can also install and configure it on your router.
OverPlay VPN Server Diversity
Overplay has excellent server diversity. In total, there are more than 650 servers in over 70 locations throughout more than 50 countries. Note that this is only true for the SmartDNS + VPN service.
Is OverPlay VPN Secure?
That depends on the tier you purchase. If you buy just the SmartDNS, no. SmartDNS brings down access barriers, but it does not secure your connection. If you buy the SmartDNS + VPN package, then yes, it is secure.
With OverPlay SmartDNS + VPN, you have military-grade encryption securing your data. Additionally, there are zero traffic logs.
OverPlay VPN Ease-of-Use
If ease-of-use is important to you, you will love OverPlay. Once you have installed the program, you just put in your username and password, choose a server, and then click on “Connect.” While the emphasis is on simplicity, there are both basic and advanced modes available. Speeds are pretty good for both downloads and uploads, and acceptable for streaming.
OverPlay VPN Refund
There is a 5-day money back guarantee on your purchase. This is pretty short, but better than nothing.
Customer Service for OverPlay
If you want to reach customer service on OverPlay, you need to head to the Support page. Here you will find articles to read. If you look in the upper-right-hand corner, there is a small “Submit a Request” link you can click to send a ticket. You can also email email@example.com. I have also found that there is a live chat service.
Is OverPlay a Good VPN?
Yes. OverPlay’s reputation is solid. The service is pretty basic, but with high speeds, an intuitive user interface, numerous servers, and strong encryption, it is a great choice for your VPN needs.
- Server diversity is excellent, and unlimited switching is offered.
- Most devices and operating systems are supported along with simultaneous connections.
- Powerful encryption keeps your data private.
- The company does not keep logs.
- There is a money-back guarantee.
- Ease-of-use is fantastic.
- It was not obvious to me how to access live customer service.
- In some respects, the service seems a bit basic.
- The cost for OverPlay is higher than it is for some competing services.
Conclusion: OverPlay is a Simple VPN Service Which Emphasizes Ease-of-Use
Are there VPNs out there which are less expensive, or which offer more advanced features? Sure. But if what you are looking for is a simple program which delivers reliable, robust performance and makes it easy to unblock content, it is hard to do better than OverPlay. For that reason, we can give them a strong recommendation for 2018.