About HideMyAss VPN Service
- Is enompatible with all OS and devices
- Provides multiple VPN protocols including OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP, and SSL.
- Affordable for most users, prices are as low as $4.99 per month in the annual plan.
- Has over 890 servers located in over 210 countries worldwide
- Has more than 121000 IP addresses
- Does not have a free trial
- Slow customer support service
HideMyAss Pricing Plans
As a VPN user, you may be wondering why such a seemingly premium service would offer ProVPN plans for such low fees, but HMA has a unique pricing structure for all types of users. As with other providers, HideMyAss has three pricing plans:
- Monthly package, also known as Kick-Ass Plan that goes for $9.99 per month
- Semi-annual or 6-Month package, known as Half-Ass that is available at $6.66 per month
- Annual package, also known as Smart-Ass Plan that goes for $4.99 per month, giving you a 57% discount.
Free or paid trials are conspicuously non-existent at HideMyAss, but this is more than made up for in a full 30 day money-back guarantee should you ever change your mind and decide not to use their services. There is of course the free HideMyAss free proxy service if you simply want to test the waters, and gauge their performance.
HideMyAss provides four payment methods namely:
- Bank and wire
- Credit Cards, including MasterCard and Visa.
You can choose the auto-renew option when you first subscribe by selecting PayPal or Credit Card as your preferred payment method.
What are some of the key features of HideMyAss VPN Service?
HideMyAss offers a number of extra services besides VPN. In as far as VPN is concerned, HMA’s strongest point is probably its server strength, a trait that makes it a leader in the VPN industry. Let’s consider some of its key features.
Servers and locations
On its website, HideMyAss has a page dedicated to just servers, an impressive feat to show how much the company is proud of its more than 890 servers spread over 310 locations in exactly 210 countries worldwide. With all those servers in all those locations, HMA’s claim of having over 121060 IP addresses is indeed a reality. Over 300 of its servers are located in the US, while the rest are distributed in Europe, UK, Asia, South and Central American region, and Africa. I found the server locator in their website quite impressive.
HMA’s Speed Test Tool
Not many VPN providers would dare their potential users to test their server speed in the VPN client. HideMyAss does indeed have three speed-test tools. You can easily give each a run and test pings, upload, and download speeds using the Express Test from your local IP, and see the results for yourself. We gave it a run and the results showed impressive upload and download speeds in comparison to other VPN providers.
Which protocols and encryption does HideMyAss provide?
HMA offers its users three of the best VPN protocols in the market today. These are OpenVPN, PPTP, and L2TP. Each protocol has its own encryption level. For instance, PPTP uses 128-bit encryption, while L2TP uses the 256-bit encryption, and OpenVPN TCP uses 128-bit encryption. You can count on HideMyAss protocols to provide you with sufficient protection and privacy from prying eyes in all your online activities.
How about compatibility?
HideMyAss is fully compatible with almost every OS and device. It supports all Windows versions from XP, Vista, 7, and 8 to Windows 10. Linux and Mac users can easily configure the VPN to work in their devices too. I also like the fact that HideMyAss works well with mobile devices such as iPhones, iPads, Android, Blackberry, Apple TV, iTouch, Boxee, gaming consoles including Xbox 360, and DDWRT routers among many others.
HMA provides detailed set-up tutorials for different operating systems and devices. You will find helpful tutorials for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android, as well as for Open DNS and Routers. There is a tutorial for just about everything you need to know about setting up and configuring the VPN. If in doubt or confused about anything, you can always turn to their support page or forum.
HideMyAss extra services
HideMyAss provides ProVPN and a host of other services too. Here are a few extra services you get as a subscriber of the service:
- Free WebProxy and Port Proxies: This is a free service provided to all internet users by HideMyAss. The company actually uses this free offer as a platform to promote its ProVPN and other services. The company provides free proxies or IP addresses from different locations with different speeds and different connection times to help users access blocked content from different geographic locations. To enhance the free proxy feature, HMA has partnered with Princeton University’s Planetlab CoDeen Project that provides free educational internet nodes for its users.
- HideMyAss anonymous email service: This is a secure feature that allows users to send emails while remaining anonymous at all times.
- Privacy browser plug-ins: These are privacy plug-ins that you can install from HMA website free of charge.
- The File Upload Feature: This is basically an additional protection feature for data that you upload online. It allows you to password protect files you have uploaded, and share the password with people you want to give access to the file. One impressive function of this feature is the fact that you can set a timer for a file to self-destruct, especially after it has outlived its usefulness.
How about customer support?
HMA has a dedicated support page easily accessible from the homepage through the yellow “Help” bar. The help or support page has all the information you need to know about HideMyAss features and functions.
You can also access customer support via the company’s Live Chat feature, although if truth be told, this feature may turn out to be the worst experience you’ll ever have with HMA. The feature is only available for just 12 hours a day. I tend to think the company has a problem keeping one or two support staff online for a whole day. However, if you can catch Live Chat in the 12 hours it is active, be assured your problem or issue will be responded to pretty fast. If you can’t find Live Chat, probably because of your time zone, don’t worry. I know where HideMyAss support staff hangs out most of the day. You’ll get them at the forum, or community as it is known at HMA.
The forum at HideMyAss is known as community, and is always a hub of activity as customers and support technicians go about the business of exchanging problems with solutions. It is a very active forum that serves as the best knowledge base in the website, especially for new subscribers. The forum can easily be accessed via the Tools & Contact tab with “Community” clearly visible in the drop down menu.
One great thing about HideMyAss is its huge number of servers spread across numerous locations in different continents. It is a leader when it comes to who has the most servers. A large number of servers means the company is capable of delivering high quality services consistently. Its pricing plans are affordable, especially the annual package, although discounts are rare besides Summer Holiday and New Year offers. Its extra services are quite useful too. The Free Proxies allow new users to test the waters before signing up since free or paid trials don’t exist here. It is also a good thing HideMyAss VPN supports almost all operating systems and devices, including all versions of Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android among many others.
However, I found its support system quite lacking, especially with a Live Chat support system that can only be accessed for only 12 hours a day. You can imagine the trouble someone in an extremely different time zone would undergo to access Live Chat. There have also been security and privacy concerns about HideMyAss storage and use of customers’ information, especially about browsing activities. The main concern is about the company being a UK business entity, and as such, all the logs information it saves can be surrendered to law enforcement agencies at the request of the authorities. All in all, HideMYAss would be one of the highly recommended VPN providers if they did some work on their customer support staff, and at least introduced a free or even paid trial feature in their services.