Nvidia Shield is an Android-powered game console and simultaneously it’s a device for streaming video. Because it can play 4K HDR quality video, it’s a perfect solution if you want to get comfortable on your couch and enjoy shows and movies on Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon Video or any other media streaming service. But here is the thing, when you are already ready to immerse yourself in the world of entertainment, your video service may bring you back to reality by displaying a notification that selected content is not available in your country. So what can you do with it? Don’t worry, there is a solution. All you need to do is to pair your device with a VPN. In this article, you will learn about the best VPN for Nvidia Shield.
Why use a VPN with Nvidia Shield TV
Before moving on to services that open the door to a world of unrestricted content, let’s figure out what a VPN is and how it can serve you.
So, you already know that some videos may not be available due to regional restrictions that are also known as geo-blocking. The thing is that video streaming services have to buy a license to deliver content to their subscribers in a certain country. Outside of this country, a film or a show will be inaccessible.
Multimedia websites determine your location by an IP address of your device, which is assigned by your Internet provider. Therefore, when you visit a certain site it will identify where you are from and if your country has no rights to broadcast content, then you won’t be able to watch it.
And here is when you need a VPN. One of the functions of this service is changing your IP address. A VPN is like an intermediary between your ISP and the Internet. With a regular Internet connection, your traffic passes through your provider’s server and then it reaches a site you need. When connecting with the help of a VPN, your traffic avoids ISP’s servers; instead, it’s redirected through servers of a VPN vendor. In this case, your IP will be changed to an IP of a server you access.
Since VPN companies have servers all over the world, you can easily select a server in a country where there are no geo-restrictions to broadcast videos you want to watch. By doing so, you will make media streaming services think that you are actually in this country.
A VPN is an excellent solution for people who live in places where Netflix, HBO, Hulu, BBC iPlayer and other services have no presence or if their libraries have a small number of titles. Also, a VPN is useful if you often go abroad.
What are the Best VPNs for Nvidia Shield
There are so many VPN services that it is really difficult to make the right choice. Providers offer a different set of functions that can be ideal under some circumstances but won’t perform well in other situations. You shouldn’t forget that a VPN isn’t only for masking your real location but it also encrypts traffic. Encryption is a perfect way to maintain your privacy on the web and it will keep your confidential data intact, but it causes slower connection speeds. However, if you are going to watch streaming video or play online games, Internet access speed is a priority number one. Also, you should consider the stability of the connection. In other words, if you are planning to combine your Nvidia Sheild with a VPN, you need a service tailored to your needs.
I analyzed dozens of VPN providers to come up with my top 3 best VPNs for Nvidia Shield TV. So here are my picks:
I chose those servers because they offer a great value for your money and they are well-known for lightning VPN connection speeds. Below is a brief review of these providers.
NordVPN is a provider that primarily focuses on the security and anonymity of its customers. However, the service is so versatile that it can be used literally for any purpose. Therefore, online gamers and video streamers will find a lot of useful functions here.
For a start, NordVPN has one of the most impressive server networks with more than 4,200 servers spread out in 62 countries. Such server count is ideal when you are looking for the right option to circumvent geo-blocks. Besides, the more servers, the better the connection speed.
The provider offers many specialized servers, including high-speed ones. Gamers will appreciate servers with anti-DDoS protection that prevent any possible disconnections.
On top of that, NordVPN supplies a unique SmartPlay technology allowing users to effortlessly bypass geo-blocks on more than 400 streaming services.
Along with your Nvidia Shield, you can connect 5 more devices so that all members of your family can enjoy the Internet free of restrictions.
- SmartPlay feature to boost your streaming experience;
- A great selection of security functions (including Onion Over VPN, Double VPN, etc.);
- 5,000+ servers in 62 countries;
- A great selection of encryption protocols including OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPSec, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP, and SSTP;
- Zero-logs policy;
- 30 days money guarantee;
- Simultaneous use of 6 devices.
- Some servers are slow
PureVPN is another reliable option for those who can’t live without streaming media. The service offers 750+ servers in 140 countries around the globe. You may think that the server count is not sufficient, however, PureVPN compensates this by the fact that all servers actually belong to the company (they are not rented). A self-managed network allows PureVPN to optimize servers to provide the fastest and most comfortable VPN experience. A blazing 1Gb connection speed will ensure streaming without bothersome lags and buffering. With PureVPN, you don’t need to be afraid of connection drops; the service took care of DDoS attacks prevention.
With one PureVPN account, you can simultaneously use 5 devices. This means that in addition to Nvidia Shield, you can connect Smart TV boxes, game consoles, computers, laptops, phones, tablets and virtually any Internet compatible gadget.
- VPN Hotspot and NAT Firewall;
- DDoS protection function;
- Self-operating server network spread out in 140+ countries;
- Support all latest encryption protocols;
- Doesn’t record your logs;
- You can simultaneously connect up to 5 devices.
- A great value for the price.
- Only 7-day money back guarantee.
Private Internet Access
PIA is a money-saving solution for securing your network and bypassing geo-blocking. The service provides access to 3000+ servers in 45 regions of 28 countries. This may not seem to be enough, but if you want to access video services’ extended media libraries, this will suffice. Private Internet Access has a good coverage in countries with the largest number of titles (USA, UK, Australia, Canada, Brazil, etc.).
The provider promises an ultra-fast VPN connection on the gateway platform with 1 Gb speed along with unlimited bandwidth. This is just what you need to enjoy your Nvidia Shield to the fullest. By the way, the service allows simultaneous connection of up to 5 devices meaning that besides your game console you can use anything that supports Internet connection.
- A great selection of supported protocols;
- 3,000+ servers;
- Protection against DDoS attacks;
- No traffic logs
- Connect 5 devices at the same time
- Servers available only in 28 countries;
- Only 7 days money back guarantee
How to Install and Configure a VPN on Nvidia Shield TV
Since Nvidia Shield is operated by Android, the installation of a VPN app is not much different from installing software on a phone or tablet. However, some VPN providers do not have their apps on the Google Play Store. In this case, the setup process will be slightly longer. Let’s first look at how to install VPN software from the Google Play Store. Here are the steps you need to take:
- Turn on your Nvidia Shield TV and go to the Google Play Store;
- In the search bar, type the name of a VPN provider you have a subscription with;
- Click the Install button;
- Check whether an app appears on the list of installed applications;
- Start an app and enter your login and password.
- If necessary, configure an app;
- Check the list of available servers;
- Select a server to which you want to connect;
- Click on the server to establish the connection;
- That’s all, now you can use your Nvidia Shield TV to watch video content or for online games.
If the Google Play Store doesn’t have an app for your chosen VPN, follow this installation sequence:
- Go to a site of your VPN provider using the Nvidia Shield TV browser or from your computer and download the Android APK File;
- If the setup file is on your computer, copy it to a USB flash drive;
- Go to the “Security & restrictions” section on your Nvidia Shield TV and select the Unknown sources function;
- In order to find and install the APK file on Nvidia Shield, you need file management software. For this purpose, I recommend ES File Explorer.
- Visit the Google Play Store from your Nvidia device and install ES File Explorer;
- If your APK file is on a flash drive, it’s time to plug it into Nvidia Shield and find the file via ES File Explorer. If you downloaded it directly to Nvidia Shield, ES File Explorer will also help you find the setup file;
- Install the APK file;
- Now you have a VPN app installed and it’s time to run it;
- Enter your login and password;
- If necessary, configure the app;
- Select a server you want to connect to;
- Establish VPN connection and now you have access to the Internet free from geo-blocks.
So, Nvidia Shield is an excellent and versatile tool for those who like video games and media steam. However, you can significantly improve its performance if you pair your device with a VPN. This service will make you forget about annoying geo-blocking while providing comfortable speeds as well as anti-DDoS protection. So what are you waiting for, get one of the best VPNs for Nvidia Shield today and enjoy the whole new world of entertainment?