Tired of running into regional restrictions on game releases on your PlayStation 4? Wish you could watch regionally blocked content on Hulu or Netflix? A lot of PS4 owners do not realize that they can get around these snags by using a virtual private network (VPN).
What are the Best VPNs for PlayStation 4?
With a PS4 VPN, you can get around geographical restrictions on content, reduce your ping time, and enjoy other great benefits. But not all VPNs provide the excellent bandwidth and support you need for gaming and streaming on your PS4. We’ve done the hard work for you to bring you the three best VPNs for PS4 that you can get in 2018.
1. NordVPN – Perfect for PS4
NordVPN for PS4 is the most popular choice as the company offers unlimited bandwidth, lightning speeds, and more than 5,100 servers in 62 countries. And of course if you happen to be a Skyrim fan, you probably find the company’s name pleasing as well. You can experience the high speeds and flexibility of NordVPN risk-free for 30 days. Go ahead and try the best VPN for PS4 today.
2. ExpressVPN – Fastest Speeds but Expensive
ExpressVPN for PS4 is also an excellent choice. On this VPN, you can enjoy unlimited server switches and blazing fast speed (fastest VPN on the market) while choosing from 2,000+ servers located in 94 countries. ExpressVPN respects your privacy, maintaining no logs whatsoever—not even connection logs. This premium service is relatively expensive, but with a 30-day money-back guarantee, you have nothing to lose.
3. Private Internet Access – Low Cost
Private Internet Access VPN for PS4 provides support for 5 simultaneous devices, offering unlimited downloading and streaming, adware blocking, encryption, and other great features for a low price. There are more than 3,000 servers to choose from in 28 countries. You can read more about PIA here. Try it risk-free now for 7 days and find out just how much PIA can enhance your gaming.
Why Use a VPN for PS4?
There are quite a few situations where a VPN might be handy on your PS4. Say for example you are on an extended trip and want to keep up with your favorite shows overseas. This is a great example of a situation where a VPN might help you watch the content you would normally have access to on your PS4 (and perhaps have already paid for).
There are also some other benefits specific to gamers. Let’s say you are living in the US, but you wish to play on servers overseas. With a VPN, you may be able to get a more direct data transfer route than you would if you let your ISP handle everything. That means less ping.
How Do You Set Up VPN for PS4?
The reason a lot of gamers do not realize they can use a VPN on PS4 is because there is no native support for it. But this does not mean it is impossible! It is actually easier than you think.
Try this method:
- Register for one of our recommended VPNs above.
- Log into the control panel for your router.
- Under the network settings, enter the login info for your VPN.
- Save the new settings and log out of the router control panel.
- On your PS4, go to Settings -> Network Settings.
- Next, navigate to Set Up Internet Connection.
- Check “Use WiFi.”
- Check “Easy.”
- You will see a list of networks in range. Pick yours and log into it.
- See the “Do Not Use a Proxy Server” box? Check it.
That’s it! You should be up and running with your PS4 VPN.
Don’t have WiFi, or prefer not to use it? That’s not a problem. You can do the same basic thing using an Ethernet connection.
Just hook up your PS4 to your computer using an Ethernet cable, and make sure under your Internet Connection Sharing settings, you check the box which reads, “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.” Set up your connection to use the VPN.
On the PS4, you then choose “Set Up Internet Connection” under “Network Settings,” after which you pick “Use a LAN Cable.” Once again, choose “Easy,” and check that “Do Not Use a Proxy Server” box.
At that point you should be ready to use your PlayStation VPN.
Free VPN for PS4
You might be wondering if you can use a free VPN for PlayStation 4. Can you? Sure. Should you? Definitely not! Free VPNs are notorious for choking bandwidth, and many will not allow you to select servers manually. You just are not going to get the kind of flexibility, speed, and performance you need for gaming and streaming unless you pay.
Important PS4 VPN Features
You can’t use just any VPN for your PlayStation 4. You need to pick a service which will provide you with the features you need for intensive gaming and streaming activities. Look for these key features:
- Unlimited bandwidth and fast speeds: You need a lot of bandwidth and speed to play today’s resource-intensive video games. Choose a VPN which will streamline performance, not slow you down.
- Wide selection of servers: A large and diverse server selection lets you choose any region you need to access the content you want.
- Support for multiple devices: This is important for PS4, since that way multiple people in your household can connect through the VPN for different purposes simultaneously. That means you can use it for your PS4 while someone else in your home can use it to browse the web.
- Malware protection: Your PS4, like your computer, is vulnerable to malware. Choose a VPN that will provide protection.
- No-log policy: Your privacy is always important! Go with a VPN that doesn’t keep logs on customer activity.
Conclusion: Using a VPN with PS4 Can Help You Reduce Ping, Access New Content, and More
A lot of gamers are surprised to find out that using a VPN with their PlayStation 4 is possible. But setup is fast and easy; you can get everything ready to go within about 20 minutes after you purchase services. Once you do, you will be able to access regionally-blocked content, decrease your ping, and improve performance. Scroll back up to the top to check out the best VPN’s for PS4 and get started today!